|24-07-2017||By Nokulunga Msibi|
Whisky is a drink as versatile as water, it is the water of life after all, mostly enjoyed over ice or with a splash of water or ginger ale. Below are some other ways to enjoy whisky other than having it neat or with a drop of water.
1. Whisky Ice-Cream
End your night with your favourites: ice cream and whisky by adding dashes of your favourite whisky over some ice cream. You can also prepare your own whisky ice cream from scratch to keep in the freezer and enjoy later. Give this Glenfiddich Ice Cream a try.
(Source: Glenfiddich. Image by Unknown)
1. To begin, mix the cream and milk together in a deep pan and gently bring to a boil.
2. As the milk and cream mixture heats, add vanilla pod into the mixture to allow the flavour to infuse.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together egg yolks and honey until pale and light.
4. Add the hot cream and milk mixture to the egg yolks and remove the vanilla pod. Slowly stir until a smooth consistency is achieved. Rest the mixture until cooled, stirring from time to time to ensure none of the ingredients separate.
5. Once chilled, add the 12 Year Old and stir through. Pour the mixture into a freeze safe container, place it into the freezer and stir every 30 minutes until firm.
2. Add a Splash in your Hot Chocolate
Adding a splash of your favourite whisky to hot chocolate adds decadence and a little heat to your hot chocolate. Melt high quality dark chocolate and add hot milk to create hot chocolate and finish it off with your favourite whisky. Top it off with marshmallows and enjoy near a fire. This hot chocolate is definitely for adults only.
3. Irish Whiskey Anyone?
(Source: The Southern Weekend. Image by: Unknown)
This is a staple from the land that brought us St Patrick's Day. Make your Irish cocktail by adding a shot of Irish whiskey like Jameson or Glendalough Single Barrel to your already prepared coffee. Top it off with whipped cream and enjoy.
4. Enjoy the Classic Old Fashion
There are a lot of crafty cocktails but this is a sure way to get you enjoying a whisky cocktail in no time. All these ingredients will be in your pantry. All you need to make the classic Old Fashioned is:
Simply stir 2 parts of Black Bottle Whisky, 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters and 20ml of sugar syrup over ice. Add a twist of orange zest over the glass to release the orange oils and there you have it! It’s so appealing in its simplicity