- Scotch whisky can only be called Scotch whisky when it has been left for a minimum of 3 years to age in oak casks, in Scotland.
- Almost 39 bottles of Scotch are shipped overseas
- The earliest reference to distilling in Scotland appears
in the Scottish Exchequer Rolls, 1494.
- Scotch Whisky distilleries are attracting upwards of 1.5
million visits annually to see how this iconic product is
- More Scotch is sold in one month in France than
Cognac in a year
- The categories of Scotch Whisky are: Single Malt, Single Grain, Blended Malt, Blended Scotch and Blended Grain whisky.
- The Scotch Whisky industry directly employs more than
- Scotch sales globally are 2.5 times its nearest
- Scotland is home to more than 20 million casks of maturing whisky.
- Scotland has 5 whisky regions: Highlands, Lowlands, Speyside, Islay and Campbelltown with each area producing whiskies with a very particular style.
Facts from: Scotch Whisky Association